Saw this on Bishop TD Jakes’ page and rather liked it.
Hey y’all (Think y’all is here to stay…y’all. Lol). I present to you some random lessons I learnt this year, professionally, spiritually, emotionally etc. Some are old lessons but situations this year really contextualised it and made it real for me.
In no particular order of importance…
1. Love others. Always choose to act in love. Don’t impose on others. Love them for who they are, flaws and all and be active in that love. Love them hard in prayer when all human means fail. Even before human efforts fail hold people up in prayer. Always.
2. Be patient. Slow to anger. You can rarely take back words and actions spoken in anger. Look at things from the other person’s perspective before reacting. Talk to God before speaking. You won’t regret it.
3. Listen more, talk less. Be measured in what you say. Make sure it holds weight. In the professional arena, church, personal circles…
4. Be diligent. Study and invest on your craft. Whatever it is. Don’t despise the little daily actions that will pay off in the end!
5. Cultivate a frugal trait and making savings and investing a priority. Choose a set amount that works for you. I use 10% of my salary as a benchmark but add more when it’s a light month for example. Nothing is too small and be consistent with it. Unexpected things happen and rainy day funds are always necessary. Also think long term, beyond 5 years. Build wealth. Don’t be penny wise but pound foolish.
6. Love learning. Always be inquisitive. Ask questions. Learn! From experiences, circumstances, people, books…the sources are endless. Learning never stops. Always ask yourself: “What can I learn from this?”
7. Don’t be afraid to dream big! Nothing is impossible. Don’t minimise your dream because you don’t see how it could ever happen. Pray. Seek His will. Commit to Him and do as you are led. Don’t go ahead and then say ‘Oh yeah God, could you ordain that for me please? Thanks!’ Just no.
8. Always try to look on the bright side. Try being the operative word. Life will knock you down. Life isn’t always fair. Don’t sulk about it or become defeated. Focus on the positives, lessons learnt and keep it moving. We have a purpose to fulfil guys!
9. Invest in your health. Don’t take it for granted. People always realise this when it’s too late. Exercise. Eat well. Be healthy.
10. Always make time for people. Relationships are so important. Don’t get so busy that you don’t reach out to people and remind them that you care.
11. Be confident. Know and understand what you bring to the table. There’s a gift placed inside of you, a special space on this earth reserved for you. Some of you know what that is already, some are still finding out. Keep searching and once you find it, own it.
12. I lied. This is the most important point. God was, is and will forever be the Alpha and Omega. That is all.
I don’t believe in new year resolutions. Self development and character refinement should be a constant goal. Not a December/January routine. Set some goals for 2015 (and beyond). I like to do short, medium and long term goals. Don’t let the year pass you by and then when it hits December 2015 you’re wondering where the year went. It’ll give you focus. But don’t just set goals, revisit them periodically throughout the year. Some will change. Some won’t. Key thing is to always remember the ‘why’ behind them. Don’t just go through the motions.
Strategically position yourself for a great year, one that you can reflect on fondly: the good, the bad and the ugly.
Happy new year guys! See you in 2015, where I will blog more regularly. (Cough) xoxo